Frequently Asked Questions

Who can use the Wake Forest University Library?

The library exists to support the educational and research needs of the faculty, students and staff of the School of Law. Secondarily, it is intended for the use of other members of the Wake Forest University community. Alumni of the School of Law are welcome to use the library. Use by members of the public is limited to the U.S. Government Documents, as part of our responsibilities as a selective U.S. Federal Depository library.

What are your hours?

Hours vary by semester, and we have different hours for Wake Forest users versus public users. Please see the full schedule.

Where do I find something that is on reserve?

Reserve materials such as class readings, old exams and hornbooks are at the Service Desk. The loan period is typically 4 hours and material must be used within the library.

If I have a research question, who do I ask?

Visit our Service Desk for help from a librarian or library staff member. Contact the Reference Department by phone at 336.758.4520 or by emailing lawref@wfu.edu.

If my computer won’t connect to the wireless internet, what do I do?

Contact the Law School’s Information Services help desk at 336.758.4300. Note that use of the Law School’s wireless network is restricted to students, faculty, and staff of the School of Law. Exceptions may be made for visiting professors or clients of the law school. Other patrons can access the internet from public computers in the rotunda.

What resources can I use without coming to the library?

Visit our online resources page or search our discovery catalog and look for titles that are designated online. Note that some resources are licensed for use only by WFU law school students and faculty and require a password to access.

Can I talk on my cell phone in the library?

We ask that you limit cell phone conversations to the stairwells in the library in order to minimize noise and not disturb other library users.  Please silence cell phones and other devices while in the library.

How can I reserve a study room?

Study rooms are available for student use on a first-come, first-served basis.

I need a resource that the Law Library does not own. What should I do?

Students and faculty have borrowing privileges at the Z. Smith Reynolds library on campus, using the Wake Forest ID card. If the item is not available on campus, you can request that the item be retrieved via Interlibrary Loan.

How can I contact a librarian?

Departmental contact information is available on the website, as is a staff directory.

How long can I keep materials that I’ve checked out from the library?

Faculty: one calendar year
Students: 4 weeks
Other faculty: until the end of the current term (or current semester)
Attorneys with borrowing privileges: 4 weeks.

I’m not part of the School of Law, can I check out materials from the Law Library?

Wake Forest University undergraduates may check out circulating materials for 4 weeks .

Medical students, staff, and faculty from the School of Medicine can check out circulating materials. You must show your School of Medicine ID and a PCL staff member will call the Circ Desk at the Carpenter Library to make sure you are in their system. Depending on the situation, Circulation staff may need 24 hours to process the info and have a patron card available. There is a 4 week loan period.

Most materials in the Law Library don’t circulate but can be used within the Library. Please check with the Service Desk.

Attorneys with a NC Bar card may apply to become a library patron, which is free. Applications can be obtained from a Service Desk Assistant.

How do I make copies of material in the Law Library?

Photocopiers/Printers/Scanners are located on each floor of the library.  Copies are $0.08 each with the price subject to change without notice.   A copy card may be requested for copying/printing at the Service Desk. Please bring cash to add money to copy cards in the IT Department. In order to scan a document you must have your student ID card.

Photocopying of library materials is regulated by the
Copyright Act in 42 U.S.C. § 201 et seq.(2012).
Photocopy and Fax Services for Attorneys
Photocopy and fax services are available to members of the bench and bar.

  • Citations should be given to the staff at the Service Desk either in person, by phone, or by fax.
  • Please include firm name, address and phone number with all requests.
  • All requests must comply with U.S. copyright law.

Photocopy and/or fax requests are filled as we have the opportunity to process them.